June 01, 2013

Week 9: Knit Skirt


This week's project was fun and super easy.  My mom found this knit on her last trip to the fabric district and thought I might make something for the girls out of it.  I promise I really did consider making some leggings for them but every time I pulled out this fabric I saw a maxi skirt.  The fabric had made its decision and who am I to argue with destiny?  Turns out, however, that the skirt was a bit more ambitious than its length and the final product was an A-line that falls just below the knee on most people and halfway down the calf on me.

For it's construction I just pulled out my cutting mat and went for it.  The only measurement I payed any attention to was my waist and then (since it was a small piece of fabric) I just cut a diagonal down to the widest and longest point at the bottom.  The waist is a rib knit from my stash and I did a fold-over yoga band instead of elastic.

If I had an abundance of medium-thick weight knit fabrics I would make about half a dozen knit skirts.  They are comfortable, easy to sew, and look great.  I think this took me all of 2 hours start to finish (including folding and cutting) which was nice because I needed a week of less sewing.

Week 10:  Running Shirt Issues

No comments:

Post a Comment