June 08, 2013

Short-ish Skirt

Feeling a little more confident after my first skirt, I decided to make another one. This one took me about 90 minutes start to finish, and most of that was because the fabric was much easier to work with.

Overall, I think it came out pretty cute!

Here is a close up of the waistband. As you can see, in order for it to lay flat I did elastic on the front and back only.


And for my next one, chiffon!

The "20 Minute Maxi"...that took me 5 hours

I decided it was time to start sewing clothes, like real, wearable garments that might actually even be cute. Easier said than done, but I learned a TON of valuable lessons and I feel so much more confident now.
I found the best new fabric store right down the street, and I managed to dig through the piles and find seven full yards of fabric, three yards of elastic, and thread for 24 bucks! Even if I screwed up completely it wasn't that big of a loss!
SO, I found a tutorial for a maxi skirt, read the instructions like 80 times, and dove in. Here was the first lesson I learned:
The picture on the right is using a ballpoint needle, like the tutorial mentioned, but no walking foot. The one on the left is using a walking foot. I realized quickly that the walking foot made a big difference.

Aaaand here is my first "finished" product:


My measurements were a bit off, wouldn't you say? And yes, that is a cut up NOSM shirt I am wearing :)

I started chopping and decided to switch to an elastic waistband since I was having so much trouble with the yoga waistband. Supposedly it is super easy, but I struggled nonetheless.

Here was my first eleastic waistband fail:


And thus commenced some major seam ripping and a tad bit-o swearing.
Fast forward another hour, and I finally had a wearable product. Not perfect by any means, but wearable.



Lessons I learned:
1. I can sew knits! They are frustrating, but I figured it out by the end.
2. My sewing machine does not like super stretchy fabric. I broke a needle and the thread like thirty times along the way. I know some of that is probably my fault, but I followed all the suggestions on sewing blogs regarding tension, thread quality, using a ballpoint needle, etc.

On to the next one!

June 01, 2013

Week 9: Knit Skirt


This week's project was fun and super easy.  My mom found this knit on her last trip to the fabric district and thought I might make something for the girls out of it.  I promise I really did consider making some leggings for them but every time I pulled out this fabric I saw a maxi skirt.  The fabric had made its decision and who am I to argue with destiny?  Turns out, however, that the skirt was a bit more ambitious than its length and the final product was an A-line that falls just below the knee on most people and halfway down the calf on me.

For it's construction I just pulled out my cutting mat and went for it.  The only measurement I payed any attention to was my waist and then (since it was a small piece of fabric) I just cut a diagonal down to the widest and longest point at the bottom.  The waist is a rib knit from my stash and I did a fold-over yoga band instead of elastic.

If I had an abundance of medium-thick weight knit fabrics I would make about half a dozen knit skirts.  They are comfortable, easy to sew, and look great.  I think this took me all of 2 hours start to finish (including folding and cutting) which was nice because I needed a week of less sewing.

Week 10:  Running Shirt Issues