May 21, 2013

Itty Bitty Baby Skirts

So in the shadow of Adrieanna's post about skirts, I thought I'd share a bit about my own experience. I have always really wanted to sew myself some flowy summer skirts, but this always seemed so daunting. My solution? Sew a couple of basic skirts for a friend's baby and see how they turned out. Turns out the whole process is so much less intimidating when you do it for a 15 pound infant. I found a basic elastic waisted skirt pattern online and checked out standard sizes for 6 month olds and went from there. I also used a build a bear for size reference. I apologize profusely that I don't have a picture of the bear in the skirt :)

The two skirts took me about two hours to make start to finish. That may seem like a long time, but this was the first article of clothing that I tackled (other than an ugly shirt that I threw away). The pink one I left plain, but I got a little adventurous with the teal one and put a ribbon lining in the bottom. Overall, I am pretty proud of myself. My next project is a basic skirt for myself using a cotton voile fabric.




As you can see, one of my students wanted to model the pink one.

1 comment:

  1. Amy these are soooo cute. I love the fabrics. What pattern are you going to use for your skirt for yourself?

    ReplyDelete