April 20, 2013

Week 3: Wear Your Vegetables

I finished my shorts!  I have seen floral shorts all over Pinterest and in Lucky magazine and thought "I'm not too old for that!".  I found this pair on Pinterest and it acted not so much as inspiration but more confirmation for the type of shorts I had in mind:
I think they're cute, even if they do sort of remind me of 90's swim trunks.  Anywho, when I found these shorts I figured maybe my version might actually qualify as... in style?  I went with Simplicity 1879 by Lisette.  I'm not really interested in the dress or shirt but the shorts looked cute, comfy and a good length (you don't want too long with a floral or it can look like you're wearing curtains):
 

 
 
So hard to tell from the envelope but they seemed worth a try.  So the fabric.  I think I have mentioned before that I have been massively blessed with fabric.  This amazing vintage radish patterned fabric was given to me by a friend of my mother-in-law.  It's a mid-weight cotton that works perfect for these shorts--just thick enough not to show through but still flexible. 
 
Seriously, how rockin' is this fabric?  I love vintage botanical.  I don't think shorts are what the designers had in mind but it's their loss because they turned out so cute and have inspired a new category of clothing I like to call "Veg-tro Awesome".
 



 
 In this last picture you can just barely see the side zipper.  I don't know why but I have been zipper challenged lately and this week's project was no exception.  It required a slightly lapped zipper that for some reason took me forever to figure out.  I think the next project requiring a zipper will be preceded by some online tutorials on zipper insertion.  I also cut the wrong pattern size out but since I trace all my patterns onto dressmaker's paper first it wasn't as huge a blunder as it could have been and I am so glad I measured it out before I cut the fabric.  The yoke has a facing that is supposed to be the same fabric as the rest but I ran out so:
 
 
The inside of my shorts is lined with Star Wars.
 
Week 4:  a sleeveless shirt for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment