February 07, 2012

Romper conversion?

I bought this romper online (it was on clearance), and it definitely doesn't look good on me. Sort of like a curtain. I don't know how this model looks so cute in it, but I guess I just can't pull it off. To return it would have cost about the same as the romper cost, about $10, so that was out of the question. Now I'm just wondering if there's something I can do with it to make it work.

I wouldn't mind making it into a long shirt or a dress (albeit would probably be too short, unless I added some sort of dark gray fabric around the ribs, which might work), but I have no idea where to start. I was also considering a dar gray fabric from the waist down, but the top may look too busy. What do you think? Any suggestions?

One thing to keep in mind is that the bottom is sewn together in the middle to separate the "shorts." So that might make a smaller adjustment more difficult... looks-wise at least. Anyway, I've not really made adjustments to clothes before, so I'd love input before I cut it up! ;)

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you could probably cut out the crotch and re-hem it at the bottom of the skirt but the line down the middle would still be there and if you're concerned about length you could make a longer lining with the dark grey so it sticks out the bottom a bit. You could do something like Simplicity 2305 but keep the top and just make/add the skirt in a dark grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I'll try cutting out the crotch first and hemming it into a skirt/dress. I like your idea of the longer lining, that could look really cute. :) And if it doesn't work out that well, I can always try something else.

      Delete