February 25, 2012

Knit Mini Dress

I have had this pattern for about a year... or maybe several years.  I originally bought it to convert into a maternity shirt (can't remember for which kid) but never got around to it.

I found this soft burgundy jersey knit in my stash and decided to make "D" (the one in yellow).  Turns out I didn't have as much as I thought because I ran out for the belt.  I had my heart set on a contrasting grey but could NOT find it anywhere!  So I had to settle with dark blue which turned out awesome because for the buttons I wanted to use these glass buttons that my mom made for me and I found a set of three that were burgundy and dark blue!  I added some blue to the bottom as a trim mainly because it's a pain in the butt to hem jersey but I think it actually adds a lot to the dress.


 A couple of things I didn't like about this pattern:  One of the fabric options was jersey which tends to be very stretchy, thin and snags easily.  This pattern in particular called for buttons and I didn't think anything of it until I realized that the belt is actually separate from the dress and is held on by the buttons.  Not a problem except that the pattern didn't call for and I didn't think to add fusible interfacing where the buttons go to add stability.  The belt pulls on the buttons especially when I move around so I'm pretty sure they're going to pop off within a few wears and take the buttons with them.  A friend of mine suggested that I actually hand stitch the belt to the dress so that it takes some of the pressure off the buttons and I think I'll do that.  I'll probably still have to hand-wash it but it should give me a few more wears.
Can you believe my mom made these buttons?!  She actually made the glass part and everything!
I'm also not a fan of the sleeves--especially with jersey.  It's a fold under, iron and sew down hem on the armhole instead of some sort of trim or sleeve.  I don't care for it because it's harder to do and doesn't look as clean in my opinion (at least when I do it).  But I did it and it turned out fine.

One thing I had never done before was a thread loop which I found out is the little thread you see on dresses that have belts.  It's meant to hold the belt in place but is less visible than an actual belt loop.  I totally cheated on this one and just took 3 strands of embroidery thread and made a braided cord.  I think it looks nice but I still don't know how to make a thread loop.
 I'm not sure I'll make this pattern again.  I don't care for the others in the envelope and I'm not a fan of the elastic inverted V without the belt to cover it.  The man is a fan of it--probably because it's so short--and I think it turned out cute so we'll see, I might.  In the meantime I'm headed to Old Navy for my first pair of skinny jeans to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment