November 12, 2011

Ruffle Skirt

Finished! It's sexy, it's wintery, it's... not going to fit for a while. Still though, I think it turned out very well and I'm so excited to wear it (eventually). So here's what I did:
I made the pink one of this McCall's pattern:
but I used a much more casual fabric and I think I like it better. I wanted a skirt I could wear to church or on a date without feeling too overdressed if we went somewhere simple. Ruffles are so popular right now--I hope they still are when it finally fits!

Here it is laid out--I'll post a picture of me in it once it fits well:

It's pretty fitted but still has a flowy look and I think it will work well with leggings and boots on cool days. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Bonus, the skirt has pockets!


I was going to do an elastic waist to help accommodate my post-baby belly but the whole thing was just a bit tighter than I want so I followed the pattern instead because when the waist fits the rest of it should fit better as well. Part of me wanted to do the elastic waist because I was nervous about doing an "invisible" zipper but I think I did ok and I got to try my hand at a hook and eye closure as well. The zipper is really ugly but I already had it and didn't want to buy one. If it's as "invisible" as it's supposed to be it won't show anyway.

So there it is! It was an "easy" pattern and while it was encouraging it also showed me that I have a lot to learn and practice so I think I'll stick with the "easy" ones for now.

Oh! I almost forgot the best part: I got the pattern and the fabric on sale so the whole thing cost me somewhere around $4... makes the skirt cuter, doesn't it?

1 comment:

  1. Woooow!! Seriously awesome! I was looking over one of my patterns this weekend and wondering what "hook and eye" was, so thanks for answering! I love the material! Totally casual-sexy! And it will be great motivation for getting to your goal weight after breastfeeding. Although kind of a bummer that you didn't get to where it at church this weekend. ;)
    I went to Jo Ann's yesterday and couldn't quite find a material I liked. I'll have to think about what I want a bit more, then maybe hit M&L when I'm down this weekend.
    Great job Anna!

    ReplyDelete